Wednesday, July 16, 2008

At Least It's Not White Underwear





This lovely scene outside our village caught my attention. I had to do a little research, because as patriotically beautiful as it appears, it just didn't seem right.



The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

The above, along with much more flag etiquette, can be
found here, and here.

The Flag Code is apparently a "voluntary" protocol, but I do know that you don't want to disrespect people's patriotism or step outside your authority if the flag police are watching. Tim Russert even managed to stir up controversy after his death because someone who obviously ignored Flag Code ordered flags to be flown at half-staff. Good ol' George W. and the insidious John McCain have also been in hot water for not following the rules. They signed flags for admiring citizens. That's a big No-No. Then there's always Mr. Obama, The Man Who Just Recently Discovered That Displaying A Flag On Your Lapel Makes People Happier.

I suppose I need to get rid of my red t-shirt bearing a flag picture and the words "Kiss me, I'm American", now that I'm up to speed on what's acceptable...??

No comments: